Depending on the size of your business, marketing your products or services online can eat up anywhere from five to 20 hours per week. At just five hours a week, you’re still devoting 260 hours a year to your company’s digital marketing efforts!! Do you have the resources to be able to handle this in house? Is it worth a full time hire? Are you better off hiring a professional agency to help? Lately, businesses have been trending towards digital marketing agencies for help because of their expertise, experience, and cost. A basic online search for marketing agencies will produce dozens of local results, but how do you narrow your search down to the best agency for your business? In this article, we discuss five qualities you should look for when choosing a digital marketing agency.
The Ideal Agency…
- Is Transparent and Realistic. The agency you ultimately work with should be upfront about how they operate and what to expect for pricing. You should be entirely clear on how invoicing is done, how retainer time is spent, when payments are due and how easy it is to get in touch with your agency contact. The agency should be presenting and producing a realistic strategy with achievable long and short term goals. If an agency promises you first page placement on Google with SEO services or a 100% jump in social media followers in their first month, don’t walk, run away.
- Is Knowledgeable. Agencies often boast expertise in all-the-things, but many actually specialize in specific markets and services. Ask about their specific experience in your demographic and skim through their website’s blog, portfolio, and case studies to understand more about their level of expertise. (Agencies often post some really great tips for businesses in their blogs too, so it’s always worth a read).
- Fosters Good Relationships with Clientele. Most agencies post testimonials on their website, but check online reviews elsewhere like Google, BrightLocal.com and Facebook. Look for agencies that are well-versed in acquiring, engaging and, most importantly, retaining customers. Customer retention is the direct result of providing top-notch service and deliverables.
- Understands and Integrates Well with Your Company Culture. Think about hiring an agency like hiring an employee. Consider how your company’s philosophy and general “vibe” jives with the agency you’re considering. You wouldn’t hire a new employee based entirely on their resume. Your hiring decision is also based on how well you feel they will fit within your business structure. The same is true for the agency you choose. Do they share similar philosophies? A similar voice and vision? Your business and your chosen agency is sure to have a more cohesive relationship and achievable goals when you see eye-to-eye.
- Has Happy, Enthusiastic Staff. Unhappy employees lead to a higher turnover rate, so if employees leave the agency you’ve chosen, your account could be left bouncing between representatives or falling through the cracks. Look deeper to ensure the agency you’re hiring has a strong culture and a high employee retention rate.
We like to think we’ve knocked all five of these qualities out of the park, but we invite you to find out for yourself! Contact us today to learn more about how we can work together on your marketing goals.